Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Round Steak Sauerbraten


This recipe was very good and had a lot of gravy to go over the noodles! :) I did think it needed more spice...maybe some ginger or cinnamon? I will have to play with the recipe and see what else it might need for flavor...I know a lot of sauerbraten recipes have gingersnaps in it, so it might be lacking something like that...overall it was very good and will be making this again in the future!


Round Steak Sauerbraten

1 envelope brown gravy mix
2 T. plus 1 1/2 t. of brown sugar
2 1/2 cups water, divided
1 cup chopped onion
2 T. white vinegar
2 t. worcestershire sauce
4 bay leaves
2 1/2 pounds round steak (I used deer round steak)
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/4 cup cornstarch


In a 5 qt. slow cooker, combine the gravy mix, brown sugar, 2 cups water, onion, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves.

Sprinkle beef with salt & pepper; stir into gravy mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.

Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup of water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve over noodles.

3/4 cup beef mixture over 1 cup noodles equals to 331 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment